Monday, January 5, 2009

Principles of Collaboration

In preparation for a meeting tomorrow, I went back to my Gaia University Master's Degree Output Packets 2 & 6 to re-distill the Principles of Collaboration and put them in a more visual format.

I've posted them over at the 'Meta-Collab Wiki', which claims to be "a collaboration on collaboration". However, nobody except me seems to be using the site -- I welcome collaborators from far and wide to take a look at what's over there (much of it fairly academic) and start adding your thoughts in.


Whad'ya all think of these principles? Anybody find them useful in your work in the world? What other principles or directives have you found useful?



P.S. As a sort of meta-note, 'Wikia' uses mediawiki software, which is the same software used for wikipedia. As Greg Landua and others can attest to, adding or changing information on wikipedia can be a complex social & technical design challenge -- I encourage everyone to work through the technical part of things by experimenting with the mediawiki software on less-trafficked sites like Wikia.

2 comments:

Mark Elliott said...

Great work! I actually founded Metacollab.net during my phd - and, alas, haven't been able to give it the attention it deserves since finishing a year or more ago.

I strongly encourage you to use it as a repository and collaboration platform as much as possible/relevant for you. The world's collective intelligence has a big gap in the area of cross/trans-disciplinary research and understanding in collaboration - something I feel is very much required these days!

Again, great work and feel free to keep me abreast of your progress.

Mark

Mark Elliott said...

Oh, and I have a new blog that I maintain more than my blogger account: mark-elliott.net